Saturday, December 22, 2012

Top Ten first party characters I want in the next Super Smash Brothers

    Before we start, I would like to analyze Sakurai's drawing of Super Smash Bros.


      For now, we can assume the characters on this drawing are playable characters in Super Smash Brothers 4. Let's go from left to right: Fox, a Pikmin (New Pikmin character maybe), Marth, Pit, Donkey Kong, Kirby, Mr. Saturn (Earthbound is back), Mario, Pikachu, Link, Meta Knight, Wario, Luigi, Zero Suit Samus and finally, Mr. Game & Watch. It was not confirmed whether or not these are playable characters but it isn't stupid to think they are.


We're finally here. The Top Ten first party characters I want in the next Super Smash Bros. The list everyone wants to see. Whenever a new Super Smash Brother game gets announced, the first thought that comes into mind is which characters we are going to play as and it's no different with me. Please not, I have my personal opinions so don't insult me for not putting your favorite character as number one or if he's not on the list. And since people tend to go crazy with their Super Smash Bros. characters list, I decided to implement rules so characters completely unrelated to the Smash universe don't make it in the list and also because I want this list to be realistic. Rule 1: These characters MUST come from Nintendo published GAMES. Rules 2: Only one per franchise. Rule 3: Characters that only appeared in Japan only games are included (Since Lucas made it into Brawl). Don't forget these are characters I want to be PLAYABLE. So, without wasting another second let's start with number ten.


10. Lord Fawful - Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga series

     Originally, Geno was suppose to be the Mario character I wanted but the thing is that I never played Super Mario RPG and really, I wanted to put him on the list because everyone wanted him. So, I turned for the two other Mario characters that came from games I actually played: Bowser Jr. and Lord Fawful. But as time went by, my interest in Lord Fawful kept increasing. And this is why I chose him as the Mario character I want. First of all, his moveset. While the only games I played from the Superstar Saga was Bowser's Inside Story, I sure as hell know this guy doesn't even need to improvise. He has so many gadgets, it's not even funny. His Jetpack head thing can be his up B, his fire ball can be his standard B. He can also borrow moves from his Dark Fawful incarnation. His Black Hole fire ball attack can be side B and and his down B can be his pistol thing. Also, it will be funny if his taunt would be his annoying yet hilarious laugh. While he his a great character and all, I had to put him at number ten because, seriously, the Mario series has TOO MANY CHARACTERS! I mean Mario, Luigi, Bowser, Peach, Yoshi and Wario (Since they made their first appearances in Mario games and have been characters in several of Mario's spin-off games).


9. Ghirahim - The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

   I originally wanted Majora's Mask Link as the new Zelda character but after I realized that it is more likely that Ghirahim is the next Zelda villain, I just joined the crowd and went for Ghirahim instead. It's easy to come up with a moveset for Ghirahim. His standard B can be his diamond attack, his side B can be his dash attack, up B can be teleportation and down B can be the diamond circle thingy. That simple! Think about it, he would only be able to use his standard B after activating his down B. Also, his final smash can be his final form in Skyward Sword. Just a thought. Also, one of his taunts could be him showing his huge tongue to the player much like he did when he encountered Link fir the first time. With that being said, I hope Ghirahim is the Zelda character that will appear in Super Smash Bros. 4 instead of Skull Kid (The winner of the Smash Bros poll). Seriously, what is so special about Skull Kid other than the fact that he was possessed by Majora?


8. Pokemon Trainer (Generation 3) - Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald

      I'd like to say it right now, I don't know Pokemon very much so pardon me if I sound like I know nothing about it. After the Gen 1 Pokemon Trainer made it into Brawl as a playable character, people started wondering which generation should be represented next in Pokemon. My personal choice is Generation 3. I'm kinda familiar with this generation mainly because I played many gen 3 spin-off games including Pokemon XD, Colosseum and Blue Team Rescue. Now, I know what you are thinking: What Pokemons do you want? I want Mudkip as the stage 1 pokemon, Grovyle as stage 2 and Blaziken as stage 3. Now, I can't really figure a moveset for these characters mainly because I'm not a Pokemon expert but since they are pokemons, it shouldn't be hard to come up with a good and original moveset. And since I a lot of people share the same opinion as I do, it is kinda likely we'll see gen 3 represented in the next Super Smash Brothers.


7. Little Mac - Punch-Out

     The past entries were about characters that came from a series that was already represented in the Super Smash Brothers universe. But what about series that weren't? Like Punch-Out? Apparently, I am not the only who thinks this way since many people want Little Mac as a playable character in Super Smash Bros. 4. And why shouldn't he, he comes from a freaking BOXING game! Fighting is his profession! And even if he was an assist trophy in Brawl, it is not impossible to have him as a playable character in the next Smash Brothers game. Look what happened to Charizard. Was a pokeball pokemon in Melee but became a playable character in Brawl. Given that he got a new game shortly after the release of Brawl, his chances of getting in are quite high. His moveset can be improvised or he can even use moves from his opponents, sort of like how Zelda is able to use Din's fire, Farore's Wind and Nayru's love when Link was the one who used these moves in the actual games. Plus, it will be a breathe of fresh air to see a boxing champion among the crowd of swordsmen. Either way, Little Mac has to be in there.


6. Krystal - Star Fox
    You know what Super Smash Brothers needs? More female characters. And you know what Star Fox needs? Characters with an original moveset. You know who fits this description? Krystal. Seriously, Krystal is the character Super Smash Brothers needs. First of all, Krystal being in Super Smash Bros. 4 is not out question. She first appeared in Star Fox Adventures and since then, she replaced Peppy as the fourth Arwing fighter. What can her moveset be? Well, she can use here staff from Adventures. B would be Fire Blaster, side B would be Ice Blaster, up B can be Rocket Boost, down B can be Ground Quake and her final smash can be the Super Ground Quake. No need to improvise! Plus, you could switch to here Assault uniform or to her Adventure clothes.


5. Marx - Kirby

    If there is a Kirby character I want, it is Marx... by a looooong shot. It's not even hard to come up with a moveset for this guy, he has so many moves! No seriously, just watch his fight from Kirby Super Star Ultra. You can come up with a moveset without improvising and you'll still have room for more moves (That is if you can customize your own moveset). Plus, he's the big villain in Milky Way Whishes and the final boss of Super Star Ultra meaning his chances of getting in are kinda high. And something the next Super Smash Brothers needs, other than more female characters, is more villains and Marx is a perfect fit. I mean, after all, he comes from Kirby, also made by Sakurai. So, please, make Marx a playable character... Please...



4. Rundas - Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

       It's just astonishing seeing all those Metroid characters that can easily fit in the Super Smash Bros. Universe yet Samus was the only one to represent the series in all three entries of the Super Smash Bros. games. You have Dark Samus, you have Ridley, you have all the hunters from Metroid Prime Hunters and then you have my personal number four pick, Rundas. First of all, Rundas has been a fan favorite since his debut (And last appearance) in Metroid Prime 3 meaning having him in the Super Smash Brothers roster of characters would make sense. His Ice powers allows for different kind of moves and Hyper mode can easily be his Final Smash. He could use some Ice missiles and Ice beams and maybe surf on Ice like he usually does. Also, I think Rundas deserves to be in the next Super Smash because he died a bit too early in Metroid Prime 3. I mean, he's the second boss! He deserves more screen time. There are plenty of Metroid characters that can easily make in Super Smash Bros. 4 but since I can only choose one per franchise (And because there are other characters I want more than Rundas), I had to chose him as the Metroid character. Plus, it's not like other Metroid characters can't join the brawl just because Rundas is my personal pick.


3. Takamaru - Nazo No Murasamejou

        It should come to you as no surprise when I say I want to see Nazo No Murasamejou. With that said, I want Takamaru as a playable character since, you know, he's the protagonist. Like I said in my Top Ten Nintendo franchises I want to see make a comeback, I never played Nazo No Murasamejou but that doesn't mean I can't include him here. While he is a Japan only character, he made many appearances in North American/European games including Nintendo Land, Brawl and Samurai Warriors 3. Given he's samurai and that he can clearly use Shurikens and Fire, improvising a moveset for him shouldn't be difficult. I mean, freaking peripherals made it into Brawl as playable characters. I am putting Takamaru over characters like Ghirahim and Pokemon Trainer (Generation 3) because I think it is more important focusing on characters that are not yet represented in Super Smash and because it might make him more popular which might make him popular enough to get a new game (Sort of like what happened with Kid Icarus).


2. Ray MK III - Custom Robo Arena

    Words cannot describe how happy I was to see Ray MK III in Brawl. But, I was also disappointed to see him as an assist trophy. It's fairly easy to come up with a moveset for this guy. B can be him firing his gun, he can launch bombs with side B, he can release bomb pods with down B and up B is Air Dash. His Final Smash can be Soul Boost. See, it wasn't hard at all. Also, much like Takamaru, an appearance in Super Smash Bros. will boost his popularity and we might see a new Custom Robo game. The reasons I want Ray MK III are pretty similar just that I am more familiar with Ray MK III and the Custom Robo series that I am with Takamaru and his game which explains why Ray is higher. There is absolutely no excuse to not put him in the next Super Smash Brothers.


Now, we are all very excited to know who number one is, but before we get there, let's recap.

10. Lord Fawful from Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga series

9. Ghirahim from The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

8. Pokemon Trainer (Generation 3) from Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald

7. Little Mac from Punch Out

6. Krystal from Star Fox

5. Marx from Kirby

4. Rundas from Metroid

3. Takamaru from Nazo No Murasamejou

And finally

2. Ray MK III from Custom Robo Arena
 
Number one is a tie between two characters that come from the same game.

1. Shulk and Fiora - Xenoblade 

   Yes, it is the third time Xenoblade is at the top of the list but it's not my fault if it's such a great game. Now the characters. I really couldn't decide who I wanted more. Shulk, well, he's plain awesome and the wielder of the Monado then you have Fiora. Without spoiling to much, let's just say Fiora is a very important character in Xenoblade and also, we need more female characters. Since Project Rainfall was a success, the chances that Shulk and Fiora get in Super Smash Brothers 4 is quite high, especially for Shulk. I also thought their moveset can be based around the moves they have in battle and that they can have the same effect on their opponents as they do against enemies in Xenoblade. Like, Shulk can inflict Break and then Topple (Hey, we can always improvise, right?) which will cause opponents to be vulnerable for a certain period of time. But he's not limited to normal Arts, he can also use Monado Arts like Speed (Makes him faster for a certain period of time), Armour (Raises his defense temporarily) and his shield can be, well, Shield! Now, Fiora. Much like Shulk, her moves can have different effects on the adversary. Her move Lacerate can inflict Bleed, Second Gear could make her other special moves stronger, heck, there's so many Arts she can use. Her Final Smash can easily be her Talent Art, Drone. The possibilities with these characters are endless, which is excellent. Makes me want a customizing moveset feature so bad. Also, people who say ''Hey, why two characters?'' please remember that Mart and Roy were both introduced in Melee and they were Japan-only characters. With that said, Shulk and Fiora are my most anticipated characters in the next Super Smash Brothers. Much better choice than Skull Kid, the questionable winner of the Super Smash Bros. 4 poll.


Before I leave, here some honorable mentions.


Palutena - Kid Icarus Uprising


Saki - Sin & Punishment


Black Shadow - F-Zero 


Aeron - Pandora's Tower


Zael - The Last Story


That does for the honorable mentions. Hope you enjoyed the list.


No comments:

Post a Comment